1. What did you do in 2011 that you'd never done before?
Opened a Canadian bank account. Got a Canadian cellphone. Celebrated Canada Day in Vancouver! Spent Christmas apart from my family. (…huh. These are pretty much all Canada-related. Hmmm 😉 ) Went to SXSW & waited in the "standby" line for two movies, and got into both. 😀
2. Did you keep your New Years' Resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Didn't make any, and won't make any this year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
I know there were several births amongst friends and friends-of-friends this year.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No humans, but my kitty, Gypsy, did. 🙁
5. What countries did you visit?
Canada – two trips to Toronto and one to Vancouver. 😀
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
It didn't work last year, but I'm trying again: more money & less knee pain!
7. What date from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
February 5; My very first Headstones concert
March 14; Emily & I met Brendan Fletcher!
April 13; Nasal surgery
July/August; The awful, horridly insane summer heat.
September 6; Gypsy put to sleep. 🙁
October 16; NOH8 photo shoot with Mom & Bailey
December 23; My second Headstones concert!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting to meet Brendan Fletcher. 😉 haha. Emily and I run his unofficial website, so getting to meet him was all kinds of wonderful.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Once again, I don't think I failed spectacularly at anything, so I'm going with nothing.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
My knees gave me the usual variety of aches & pains. Tons of sinus infections. Spent a few weeks at the beginning of the year in a medical shoe. Spent a large chunk of August & September in a surgical boot (opposite foot). A week after that finally came off, I had to spend a few weeks w/a brace on my left wrist. Yup – I'm falling apart left, right, & center. Ha.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I dunno. No one is coming to mind immediately as I write this…
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
As per usual – names and deeds withheld to protect the innocent. ("The innocent" being me, since this is a public forum and all. 😉 )
14. Where did most of your money go?
Again – the usual two places:
1) Medical bills. YUCK!
2) Vacation. WOO HOO!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My wonderful vacations. Getting to see the Headstones, meeting Brendan, the NOH8 photo shoot. The new kitty.
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
There are several of 'em this year:
"binthiswayforyears" – Headstones
"Moves Like Jagger" – Maroon 5
"Rolling in the Deep" – Adele
"Dog Days are Over" – Florence + The Machine
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
Slightly happier, I think. Windy passed on NYE last year, so I was sad at the end of last year.
b) thinner or fatter?
About the same
c) richer or poorer?
Poorer. Again. Too many medical bills/no raise (and I blame that last one on evil Rick Perry).
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Relax & unwind.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
I wish I'd had fewer injuries!!
20. How did you spend Christmas?
I spent Christmas in Canada. Most of the trip was in Toronto, but Christmas Eve/Day was spent in Peterborough with Emily & her family.
21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
Once again – Mom (talking). Emily (texting)
22. Did you fall in love in 2011?
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Flashpoint, Castle, Leverage, White Collar, and way too many more to list.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I don't think there's anyone new on my "strongly dislike" list, so no.
26. What was the best book you read?
It would be hard to pick just one as "the best"; especially since most of the ones I read were by my fave authors.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
28. What did you want and get?
New bedframe! Whee!! A NOH8 portrait.
29. What did you want and not get?
I know there were likely several things… but nothing's coming to mind so it must not have been too big a disappointment to not get whatever it was.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
"Sherlock Holmes 2"! "AGAIN!!! AGAIN!!!"
"Hello Caller" was my favorite short film that I saw this year. Although… "Billy's Birthday" comes in a pretty damn close second. "IT'S BILLY'S BIRTHDAY!!"
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old?
I turned 37 on my birthday this year. (Although, at one point, I thought I already *was* 37, and would be turning 38 this year. Oy.) It…wasn't my most favorite of birthdays. But that's a rant for another place and time.
32. What would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Having less pain & medical bills
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Same as always — "Whatever"
34. What kept you sane?
IM/text/email conversations w/my best friend, Emily.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
37. Who did you miss?
I always miss Emily when she's way too far away. That's the crummy thing about having a best friend who lives in another country.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Brendan Fletcher!! 😉 *giggles* (C'mon. You had to see that one coming. ;))
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011:
No matter how jaded you may think you are, or no matter how you may expect certain people to act… those people can still disappoint you.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
"I've been burned out,
I've been hated,
I've been fucked up
A little foolish,
A little jaded,
I ain't complaining,
That karma's been back-dated
And there's nobody fading away here
Goddammit, well, it's been this way for years"
"binthiswayforyears" – Headstones