But seas between us broad have roared since auld lang syne December 31, 2012Posted by Keiran in : Year In Review , trackback
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
Have 3 MRI’s in one year. Ha. Had laser hair removal. Spray painted the cars at Cadillac Ranch. Went to Stonehenge — the one in Odessa, Tx. Had my name in a best selling book! Started going to a rheumatologist. Held a baby kangaroo.
2. Did you keep your New Years’ Resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Nope… don’t make any.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Nope, but a friend is going to next year!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
I lost a cousin this year.
5. What countries did you visit?
None. Sob. No trips to Canada this year. I hate being broke.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
It didn’t work last year, but I’m trying again: more money & less pain!
7. What date from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Feb 3 - Had a MRI/MRA (with contrast) on my brain — WITHOUT having a panic attack or having to be sedated. I had a wonderful tech who helped me through it.
March 14-15 – Road trip to Roswell, NM with Emily… stopping to spray paint the cars at Cadillac Ranch, hunting aliens.. TRAIN! RUMOUR HAS IT! Stonehenge in Odessa. MASSIVE car accident/shut down highway, trying to find a way around it to get home.
April 6 – 10 years since Dad passed away
July 24 – DIED! Except… only in literary form. Ha. (“Thirteen” was released this day, and a character with my name gets dismembered in the book.)
August 13 – Adopted Loki
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Ma’s 60th birthday gift — collected memories of her from her friends & family, each one in a separate envelope and bundled in a box I hand-decorated.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I know I have some…. I’m just not sure what I’d put here.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Of course. I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t. Let’s see…. there were the ‘normal’ knee issues, managed to mess up a nerve in my back that has my right leg numb-ish, slightly bulging disc in back, bronchitis, laryngitis… That’s all that’s coming to mind.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The new kitten, Loki. My silly insanely soft lil boy. Groupon for laser hair removal (always wanted to, but now I can finally afford it!). My new camera. Although – I don’t know if that counts. I bought it, but I bought it with Christmas money, so it was technically a gift…
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
People who helped re-elect our awesome President.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
As per usual – names and deeds withheld to protect the innocent. (“The innocent” being me, since this is a public forum and all. )
14. Where did most of your money go?
Medical bills. Meh.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Trip to Vegas for mom’s 60th birthday. Road trip with Emily. Adopting Loki. Becoming a Whovian. Having my name in a book.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
Rumour Has It – Adele
Brokenhearted – Karmin
Call Me Maybe – Carly Rae Jepsen.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
b) thinner or fatter?
About the same
c) richer or poorer?
Poorer. Again. Too many medical bills/no raise
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Incur medical expenses/go into debt. Meh.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Went to IHOP with mom & the brother, then mom & I went to see “Les Misérables”. Was extremely happy when snow fell that afternoon and we ended up with a white Christmas. Watched the newest episode of “Doctor Who”.
21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
Once again – Mom (talking). Emily (texting)
22. Did you fall in love in 2012?
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Flashpoint. Grimm. Leverage. Doctor Who.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don’t think so. I know there’s a few I dislike now…. but not hate.
26. What was the best book you read?
“Thirteen” by Kelley Armstrong. (Check it out. My name is in it. Hee!! :D)
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Rediscovered a lot of older music, when scanning in old CDs before selling them
28. What did you want and get?
Loki-kitten! New camera.
29. What did you want and not get?
To travel to Canada
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
I actually went to the movies a lot this year! Well, a lot for me…
My favorites: Pitch Perfect, Avengers, Brave, Wreck It Ralph
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old?
I worked. What fun. Turned 38. Got insanely beautiful rainbow roses from my best friend.
32. What would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Having less pain & medical bills
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Same as always — “Whatever”
34. What kept you sane?
IM/text/email conversations w/my best friend, Emily.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Hugh Dillon. Brendan Fletcher
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The election. Marriage equality. Gun control.
37. Who did you miss?
Emily. Way too far away.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012:
You may think that life’s got you beaten to a pulp, but it can find new ways to cause you pain.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
“Underneath the clothes we’re wearing,
scars we all carry; some that don’t fade.
And they read just like a roadmap.
Time cuts a deep track through skin and vein.”
Everybody Falls – Beth Thornley